By nature, dogs are very curious beings. These curiosities sometimes result in risking their lives by following their very sensitive nose. They use their noses and mouths to evaluate everything they encounter. However, some objects they encounter may actually poison your dog.
Chocolate can poison your dog
Although it is a delicious potion for humans, chocolate is something we should never share with our dog friends. Chocolate contains a substance called ”theobromine.. This substance is an alkaloid derived from cocoa plants and stimulates the central nervous system. In addition, it causes the expansion of bronchioles and has many different effects on the cardiovascular system. Dogs’ bodies cannot easily destroy theobromine and are therefore toxic to them.
Paracetamol and other painkillers can be toxic
This medicine, which is very beneficial for us humans, is extremely harmful for our dogs. This analgesic damages the red blood cells of the liver and canines. As a result, a dog receiving a toxic dose of paracetamol may die from hepatic necrosis. And a very small dose of this product can poison your dog. Some experts even say that even two tablets of medication can fatally poison your dog.
Detergents and softeners
Detergents or hoppers are highly toxic if our dog drinks. In particular, emollients are twice as harmful because they contain cationic substances. Symptoms of poisoning include hypersalivation, drowsiness, vomiting, burns in the mouth, seizures, shock and coma.
Mouth Rinse Water
A number of mouth cleaning products include boric acid , which is highly toxic to dogs. Substances such as glasses and lens cleaning solutions, disinfection products for dentures used in our homes also contain boric acid.
Antifreeze is a highly toxic substance for our dogs. Even sadly, many domestic dogs die each year from antifreeze poisoning. And unfortunately, many commercially available antifreeze types have a smell and taste that are very attractive to dogs. Therefore, their willingness to try is not at all unexpected. However, ethylene glycol in the content of such products severely damages the kidney function of dogs and causes serious symptoms such as seizures, vomiting and drowsiness.
As with detergents and softeners bleaching agents also contain chlorine, and are therefore highly toxic to our furry friends . Some of the early warning signs of bleach poisoning are; vomiting, slobbering and abdominal pain.
Seeds of fruit
The seeds of some fruits are very harmful to dogs. Some are harmful because they cause suffocation, while others are actively toxic to the body of dogs.
The evolution of dogs did not adapt them to digest seeds, so dogs’ digestive system often cannot support a healthy digestion of seeds.
As with fruit seeds, some ornamental plants are poisonous to dogs and other pets. Symptoms of poisoning as a result of these plants may be very different depending on the type of plant ingested , but in general, they have effects on the central nervous system and also cause vomiting.
Plants that are poisonous to dogs include: tomatoes, spinach, azalea, autumn saffron, avocado, oleander, puppet eye (actaea), blueberry, (dulcamara), beautiful belladonna, foxglove, hemlock, aquatic hemlock, yew, castor oil, and lily of the valley.
Ibuprofen has an effect similar to that of paracetamol on dogs. This excellent anti-inflammatory drug that provides so many benefits to humans is highly toxic to dogs at any dose of more than 5 milligrams per kilo.
Many antidepressant medications used by humans have a major toxic effect on dogs. In addition to affecting the nervous system of the dog, it also affects kidney and liver health and functioning.