Dogs and cats have very different needs. Dogs and cats are quite different from each other, regardless of whether they are medical, emotional or nutritional. However, there are many who believe that the contents of cat and dog food are similar and that both cats and dogs can eat both. But is that true? There are many reasons why giving a cat dog food is a bad idea. Let’s take a look.
Cat and dog food
Dog food consists of Beta Carotene . This is a compound that the dog organism can convert to vitamin A.
Cats do not have this ability. Instead, they currently need foods that contain vitamin A. They also need Taurine, an amino acid that cats and dogs can produce on their own.
Dog food has a low content of fat and protein and high content of vitamins. This is because dogs can easily become overweight. However, cats need high protein and fat content. If you feed dog food to a cat, it may cause malnutrition and cause the animal to become seriously ill.
Of course, this only happens if the cat regularly eats dog food. If you give your cat dog food in rare moments when the food at home is over, your cat will not get sick. However, we recommend that you give your cat sausage or tuna if possible. If there’s no other option, you can give your cat dog food instead of giving it anything.
Although your cat loves your dog’s food, that’s not what he needs. The same applies to dogs, they cannot feed on cat food.
Tips for getting your cat to eat its food
If you have both a cat and a dog, they can sometimes eat each other’s food. Maybe they like the smell or taste of each other’s food. If you cannot teach each animal to go only to its own food container , you may try some of the following:
- Use different bowls. Do not use the same container for cat and dog food as this can confuse animals. Choose different shapes and colors. Show them which container belongs to them.
- Put food in different places. Have each animal eat food in a different part of the house. If necessary, you can store the food out of reach and avoid feeding it until you request it.
- Perform feeding programs. If you leave foods out of sight, they can start searching. Feed them with programs so they don’t try to eat food that doesn’t belong to them.
- Teach them commands. Although these dogs work harder, cats can also learn commands such as “touch” or “no”. These commands can help you when you see your cat going to eat dog food .
Homemade Cat Food Recipes
Of course, sometimes cat food may be consumed and you may not be able to catch up on time. In such cases, it is good to talk to a veterinarian about what kind of food your cat can consume. Here are some ideas for what your cat can eat:
- Meatballs . Meatballs are full of protein and great food for your cat. Cats can take excess weight because the meat can be a bit greasy, but make sure it’s not too fatty. Also, add vegetables, because your cat needs vitamins, especially vitamin A .
- Tuna with vegetables . Preparing this food is as easy as opening a can of tuna (preferably in water). Drain thoroughly and mix small carrot pieces or other vegetables. Do not add salt or other spices or condiments.
- Salmon . A piece of grilled salmon will drive your cat crazy. There’s nothing they like more than fish. If you don’t have salmon, you can give your cat another kind of fish.
These are just some ideas, but you know best what your pet likes. Remember, giving your pets food other than cat and dog food is just an emergency. This shouldn’t be a habit.
Homemade Recipes for Cats
To meet the needs of cats, you can go to the best of all alternatives: homemade recipes for cats. Click now! [Read more »