Feeding your pet correctly will help keep it healthy and happy . To do this, you need to know the rules before and after feeding your dog. Of course not all dogs are the same, but these standard tips may apply to any type of dog.
Before feeding your pet
If you have never fed a dog before and do not know what to do, keep these tips in mind for the care and good nutrition of your pet:
- Keep in mind that your new friend needs liquids in their meals. It is important to always have access to clean and fresh water. Ideally, you should put them next to their dishes.
- If your dog is a puppy – even if you have purchased special food for puppies – it can be difficult to eat because its teeth are brittle. It is important to help them until they are used to hard dog food by wetting their food with a little water.
- Your pet’s food should be dry (dog food), but they can also eat wet food. Moreover, you will see that they will love it. However, wet foods should occasionally be given as a reward because they are usually not good for digestion when consumed in excess.
- Make sure you know the amount your pet should eat. Usually, you will have information on the food you buy, but it is always best to consult a vet.
- Do not allow your little friend to eat from your food or bone, as these can cause great damage to the digestive tract.
- Make sure that the texture or color of the food does not change. Corrupted food can poison your pet.
- Observe the way your pet is eating. If it eats too fast, it is better to give small portions several times a day.
- An adult dog can eat once every twelve hours or twice a day. However, the situation is different for a puppy, so remember to ask your veterinarian about it.
- Give them space. Allow them to eat and do not disturb your pet. You don’t want your hair stroked while you eat, do you?
After feeding your pet
There are also tips you will find useful during and after nutrition. Take a look at the following:
- If you have several dogs eating from the same place, make sure that the hierarchy principles do not cause one dog to eat more than others. This is important for the nutrition and development of each. If you think the dominant ones leave the weaker dogs without food, separate the portions and feed them one at a time, so that they can all get a fair share.
- Take your pets to the vet frequently, not just for worms and vaccination, but to check their weight and make sure they don’t eat more or less than necessary.
Do not walk your dog until at least an hour after eating, as this can cause digestive problems.
- If your dog has not finished eating, do not return the remaining food to its packaging or store it in locations with toxic products.
- Do not allow sick animals to share food from the same dish. Feed them in separate places.
- If you need to change food because your veterinarian recommends it or do so, do not do it suddenly. If you change food at once, your pet will probably refuse to eat for days.
When should I change my dog’s food?
These changes are usually made when a puppy is an adult dog or when an adult dog becomes old. This change occurs due to physiological changes in dogs.
Hard food changes can cause allergies and other problems in your pet , so make sure you give them the right food. The best way to know which is the best is to consult your veterinarian.
Main picture source: Art Siegel
Six Benefits of Oatmeal for Dogs
Oats are useful for dogs as well as for humans. Read what you need to pay attention to when giving your dog oats and the properties of this food. [Read More »