As My Animals, we will help you resolve all your doubts about this. Let’s start by explaining what kind of food is good for your dog.
Choosing the right food
Knowing what kind of food is best for your dog is not as difficult as it sounds. The breed , depending on the age and size, is important to choose.
- Small dogs: Small breeds such as Chihuahua and Toy Terrier belong to this group. These dogs should eat easily chewed foods because they are small. This prevents the scale from accumulating. On the other hand, in order to prevent obesity , which may lead to serious illnesses, it is important that they are rich in protein and vitamins and are low in fat. At the same time, high fiber content promotes good digestive function.
- Medium-sized dogs: This type of dog should consume plenty. However, these should be easy to digest foods. It is also important that they eat foods that provide good amounts of calories because they are physically active. If your dog is of medium size, make sure to consume plenty of sources of vitamin C and E and avoid excessive phosphorus.
- Large dogs : Because of their large size, they need a diet to protect and strengthen their bones . Just as with medium-sized dogs, it is important that they consume high-calorie foods.
- Puppies : You should never give a puppy the food that adult dogs eat. Think of them as babies. All body parts have just begun to develop, so they will need a special and correct diet for their proper development.
- Older dogs: As dogs age, they will have special needs. They will need soft, easy-to-chew foods that strengthen their bones and immune systems.
In any case, it is important to consult a veterinarian. The specialist will tell you what are the best foods for your pet according to your needs.
How much should my dog eat?
There will be differences in the amount of food your dog needs, depending on age and size.
For example, pups need an average of five meals a day. The amount they can eat is small. However, since their energy needs are great, they consume a lot of calories.
After six months and until the age of 1, dogs must eat three meals a day.
When they become adults, two full meals a day are sufficient because they are less active and do not need to spend much energy.
If your dog is a large breed, you can choose to eat two small portions or one large portion a day. It is important that you check their diet against the danger of becoming obese .Otherwise, they can eat anything.
According to experts and professionals, a dog should eat 2 to 3% of his body weight daily. By taking this measure you can be sure that you feed your dog the right amount.
When should my dog eat?
This will depend on your schedule. Some people prefer their dog to eat after them, so their dog will be more obedient.
As the lid leader of the herd ers, you eat first, then your dog eats (this is the best way to feed a dog). However, some people allow their dogs to eat before, so that their owners do not disturb them while eating.
Whichever you choose, you have to keep in mind: Dogs learn routines, so it’s important to feed them according to a schedule. Always feed your pet at the same time and in the same place.
Finally, when it comes to what material the dish you put your dish on, we recommend you to use a metal dish. Veterinarians also agree. Plastic bowls crack easily, so they accumulate countless bacteria that can harm your pet’s health.
In contrast, metal plates are much more hygienic. Now you know the answer to the question, “How much food should my dog eat?”
Can Dogs Become a Vegetarian?
If you are a vegan or vegetarian, you know that this is a lifestyle. So you may want to know if your dog is a vegetarian. [Read more »